Why am I getting little traffic to my site? Why don’t a lot of people see my blog? You probably would have played these questions in your mind. You might even find that people are visiting your site yet you are not witnessing a large growth in traffic. This post teaches you how to add social media icons to WordPress.
In spite of providing the readers with a good post to read, you have failed to give them an option to share your article. Why restrict them from sharing when they wish to do so?
Visitors always most probably read these types of articles, during travel, short breaks etc… When they do so, they might find your article useful but no one has the time to copy the link of the site and paste them in their post and finally sharing them on social media. Even though this is a pretty simple process, psychology teaches us the simpler the work, the more we tend to do it. The same applies here too.
To sum up, The main purpose of social media icons is to build a reader base and it is these social media icons which help to share articles with that of a single click
If we were to add simple social media icons to our site, our traffic could bulk at an enormous rate. Moreover adding social media icons to your site will help your
There are four main ways to do so. Adding social media icons
- To the footer
- To the header using menus
- Using plugins
- Using cusotm codes
1. How to add social media icons to WordPress to the footer
- To begin with, add social media icons to the footer navigate toDashboard>Appearance>Customize. Note: The above is only for self-hosted sites. For wordpress.com sites choose the customize option which you can find directly under the dashboard.
2. Then, Click on Widgets.
3. Select the location where you wish to add the widgets. As we are trying to add widgets to the footer we select “footer 1” in this case.
4. Click on the “+ Add a Widget” button as a result of which a list of widgets pops up onto your right.
5. In the search box type in social. A widget named “Simple Social icons” pops up. Click on it.
6. Give a suitable title. In this case, we use “Contact us on”. As you scroll down a bit you can see a variety of options for icon size, colour etc.. Tweak them according to your tastes and enhance your site to the maximum extent. Note: This applies only for self-hosted sites. For wordpress.com sites only few privileges are available.
7. You can find a list of empty boxes with social media names at-top those boxes. Copy the link of your preferred social media from the URL box. In this case, I am using Facebook.
8. Paste it in the corresponding box as shown below.
9. You can find several empty URL boxes. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to add more links. You can reorder these icons using the “Reorder” option in the bottom.
10. The live preview of your website is displayed in the window to your right. If you are content with the preview, hit publish to view the icon in the footer column of your website.
Congratulations you have successfully added social media icons to your footer column.
2. Adding social media icons to the header using the menu.
Menu image plugin.
Click here to learn how to install plugins in wordpress.
- Under Dashboard choose Appearance>Customize.
2. After reaching the customize window, Click on “Menus”.
3. If you wish to add the icons to an existing menu click on it else hit “Create New Menu”. In this case, I am creating a new menu.
4. Give your menu an apt title and hit next.
4. Click on the “+ Add Items” button.
5. You can find a drop down menu named “Custom Links”. Click on it.
6. Add the site URL and the link text in those corresponding boxes. The site URL is web address of the site which you wish to visit and the link text is the one which is visible to the visitors. They click on the link text to view to the corresponding site.
7. You can find an option called “Set image” click on it and upload the icon of the social media. Click on “Set image on hover” to set the icon when a mouse pointer hovers over the icon. Tweak all the provided options such as image size, title position according to your wish and finally click “Add to Menu”. Repeat this step until you add all the social media icons.
8. Click on the menu location where you wish to display those icons in this case I am choosing the Header Menu. You can preview it on the window to your right.
8. Finally hit “Publish”. Congratulations you have displayed social media icons on your header.
3. Using plugins
If you find the above processes to be tiring, then you can install plugins to add social media icons to your site.
There are several plugins to get the job done with. For an example, I am using the plugin Social Media Share Buttons & Social Share icons
- Install the plugin Social Media Share Buttons & Social Share Icons .
2. Activate the plugin.
3. Under option 1, you can select which icons should be displayed on your site. Select the icons of your choice. Scroll down a bit and hit the save button.
4. Under option 2 you can customize what your icons must do. After you are done customizing your icons hit Save.
5. Select where your icons must be displayed and after tweaking all the settings hit save. Check out this video to know more.
Congratulations you have installed social media icons on your website
4. Custom installation
What if you wish to install a social media which one is the least most used social media site? You can easily add your social media sites with the following piece of code.
- Upload the icons to the media library
2. Navigate to Appearance>Customize>Widgets
3. Select the area you wish to add the link to. In this case I am choosing the footer 1.
4. Click on Add a widget
5. In the search box type in text. The text widget will appear click on it.
6. Use the following piece of code in the text section and change the values as shown in the next step.
7. After changing the values in the code the link looks like this. I am using for element fox site this example.
8. Check out this video to know how.
9. You can repeat the following process for installing more and more icons and finally hit “Publish”once you are done.
Congratulations you have displayed social media icons on WordPress
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is possible to remove icons from the header. If you have created a social menu for all your social media icons, delete the menu to remove all icons at once.
Simple social icons, Add to Any, Shared Counts etc… are some of the best plugins to install social media icons to our site.
It depends, not all plugins slows down our site. You can use the plugins which is mentioned above. If you find plugin installation an inefficient process follow the other steps to add social media icons to your site.
Hope you have learnt how to install social media icons on wordpress. If you have any questions leave them in the comments section below. If you liked the post consider sharing it. Happy Blogging!