Looking for ways on how to edit a footer in wordpress? You are in the right place. This article guides you in a step by step manner to edit the footer
The footer is one of the most valuable and often overlooked sections of WordPress. A footer section further enriches your site. Try to make the most out of it and do not make the common mistake of wasting this precious chunk of space.
There are several things you could edit in a footer some of them are:
- Add widgets
- Remove credits such as ‘Proudly powered by WordPress’
- Change the color of the footer
- Adjusting footer layout
- Adding images and social media icons
To begin with, there are four different ways of editing a WordPress footer
- Editing the footer.php file
- Add the WordPress footer CSS
- Editing the footer widget
- Using plugins
For instance, the first two methods demonstrate ways of removing ‘Proudly powered by WordPress’ and the third one describes the method of adding a widget to the footer. In short, these are certain examples on how to edit a footer in WordPress. It seems like these might be the only ways of editing a footer but the possibilities are endless.
As a result of editing the footer.php file the footer section gets altered correspondingly. Follow the steps given below to edit the file. Create a child theme before proceeding. Edit with utmost caution. Warning: Making undesirable changes to the code will break the site.
- To access the theme editor choose the Editor option under Appearance. Then choose the footer.php file.
2. Look for the following lines of code and delete them. Finally hit ‘Update file’. Note that the following code is for themes twenty sixteen and older.
For newer themes delete the following piece of code from the footer.php file and hit ‘Update File’ button.
Congratulations you have successfully hidden ‘Proudly powered by WordPress’.
- To begin with, navigate to customize under Appearance.
2. Then choose ‘Additional CSS’.
3. Add the following piece of code and hit publish.
This is an another method of hiding “Proudly powered by WordPress”.
The footer column can also be edited using the Customizer.
- Under Appearance choose customize
2. Then select Widgets
3. Click on Footer 1
4. Hit “Add a Widget”. Select any widget , a list of widgets are provided in the right. Select any one of them. In this case, I am adding an audio player.
5. You can edit the widget and finally hit publish
Congratulations you have successfully added a Widget to the footer. The corresponding widget will be displayed in your footer section.
4. Using plugins
Finally we could use plugins to edit footers and there are plenty of them. Futhermore, these plugins make the job much more simpler.
- Firstly, install a plugin by navigating to the ‘Add New’ option under plugins. Type in the name of a plugin you wish to install. Click on the plugin to install it.
2. Finally, hit activate to activate the plugin. Using this plugin you could edit the footer.
In this way you can use plugins to edit the footer column.
Therefore, these are four simple ways to edit a footer. If you have any queries leave them in the comment section below. Happy blogging !!!
You may also like