You have decided to start blogging. You come across two blogging platforms WordPress and blogger. As a beginner, it might be hard enough to decide. I was there too… Do not worry we will help you with that.
Before finding out which is better,
What is a blog?
A blog (shortened form of weblog) is a website which allows people to publish their views on a specific topic and it is aimed at targeting a specific audience.
It is a platform where a writer or even a group share their views on a specific subject. There are different types of blogs and the person who blogs is called blogger. There are different types of bloggers
- Fashion bloggers
- Business bloggers
- Tech bloggers
- Fitness bloggers and the list goes on
Once you have chosen your blogging platform, choose the area you are strong at
A Quick Tip: The area or niche you wish to blog must be searched by people. This helps you generate traffic if you are blogging for business reasons
Before choosing a platform for blogging let me clear the differences between wordpress.com and wordpress.org.
WordPress.com sites allow you to buy a domain name and only offers few features as compared to blogger. But when wordpress.org sites come into competition, its the king. It offers full control over your site appearance, themes, etc…
In this post I have used WordPress.org for comparison rather than wordpress.com as the latter one and blogger are nearly similar.
As for the suggestion of whether to choose wordpress or blogger, Let the battle begin
Blogger allows you to,
- Apply themes (Note that there are only a few themes as compared to wordpress)
- Set background image
- Adjust widths, layouts
- Change font size
And that’s all the customization you can do in blogger.
But when it comes to WordPress, you have full control over your site. With
- Add your own CSS snippets which help in customization
- Select from a wide range of themes (You have over 15000 themes to choose from)
- Edit Codes backend
- Upload your own themes etc..
It allows you to customize your theme like a real web designer.
But WordPress offers you a great opportunity of using gutenburg editor, which provides various types of blocks for paragraphs, lists, headings, etc… It makes the process of editing much easier and simpler.
Blogger allows you have 10 pages at the maximum but with WordPress, you can have an infinite number of pages
Moreover, if you have already got a blog, you can import it directly to WordPress. WordPress offers a wide variety of platforms to import from but with blogger, you can only import from another blogger site.
And the features are much more with WordPress
WordPress offers various plugins for doing different tasks. You have the famous
But Blogger does not offer any of those features. It simply has a handful of widgets which offers only limited functionality as compared to WordPress.
Plugins are simply a group of software which adds additional functionality to your website. With a single click, you can add plenty of functionalities. It is that simple.
There are over 50,000 wordpress plugins to choose from. So think the enormous possibilities of expandment of your site as compared to blogger. Choose the best plugins to enhance your site.
Blogger allows you to monetize only via using google ads i.e., using Google Adsense. But with W
- Google Adsense
- Affiliate marketing
- Sell sponsored blog posts
- Create a forum
- Sell online courses
- Develop WordPress themes
- Sell wp plugins and the list of possibilities goes on forever.
Blogger limits you in the field of monetization, but with wordpress the possibilities are endless.
Blogger owns all your sites and if they tend to shut down blogger everything goes down with it. But in the case of wordpress, it is open source and your are responsible for its maintainance, security, backup etc…
If you just wish to start blogging as a hobby and you do not want to carry all the responsibilities of managing it use blogger.
If you wish to be a serious blogger, wish to earn money via it, use it to advertise your business, choose WordPress.
Choosing Blogger as a blogging platform,
Congratulations on choosing a blogger as your blogging platform. All you need now is create an account. Click here to create yours.
- Select “Create your blog”
- Select (or) log in to your Gmail account.
- Give your blog profile name and that’s it you have created your blog.
If you have chosen WordPress,
Congratulation for choosing WordPress and getting started with your blogging career. Before creating a wordpress account you have to choose whether you are going to create an account in WordPress.com or in wordpress.org
Note that, wordpress.com only allows you to buy a custom domain name and does not allow
- ploading plugins for additional functionality
- No database access
- Does allow editing backend codes
- Limited possibility of customization
- You cannot upload your own themes
Moreover you only get a basic functionality with a free plan. To take advantage of the additional features you need a premium plan.
Moreover wordpress software is open source and due to which it is FREE. With wordpress.org you can get full control over your website.
If you prefer to go with wordpress.com click here
If you prefer the latter, all you need is a hosting account keep reading.
Now what is a hosting account?
Web hosting accounts gives access to servers where you have all the files stored, required for the proper functionality of your site. After this you are given with a plenty of hosting servers, Some of the top class ones are,
- Dream host and there are lots more
WordPress recommends you to have Siteground or Bluehost as your hosting site
How to choose?
You can either go with Bluehost or Siteground but our honest solution is Siteground. It is one of the best hosting platforms you can come across and it would serve as a rock-hard foundation to build your blog on top of it.
Its customer support is top notch, has
How to install?
- Visit Siteground website
2. Scroll down and you can find “WordPress hosting”. Now click on the “Get started” button.
3. Now choose a plan according to your needs and click on “Get Plan”. In this case I am using the startup plan
Each plan offers different features. Choose the own according to your needs
4. After choosing your plan, you will
If you already have a domain name enter it. Else enter a new domain name of your choice.
You can only get available domain name for your site. Check out this post on how to choose the perfect domain name for your site.
5. After choosing your domain name, Give in your details which are requested and finally proceed to the payment section and give in the details of your card. Such as the card name, card expiration date, etc..
6. If you wish to avail any other services like the SG site Scanner or the Domain privacy (which further costs you money) and agree to the terms and conditions and finally click on “Pay now” button to pay for your purchase.
7. Click on “Proceed to customer area”
Installing WordPress on siteground
1. After successful payment, you will be taken to the site ground account setup wizard. Click on the option “Thanks I don’t need help” and click proceed.
2. Under the option “my accounts” from the menu bar you can find an option called “Go to my Cpanel”. Click on it. It will take you to the Cpanel of your site.
Cpanel is a hosting control panel from where you can manage your website.
3. Under the “WordPress tools” option, You can find an option called WordPress Installer. Click on it. It will take you to the WordPress installation wizard. Click once again on the “Install” button.
4. Here enter your site name, site description, admin username, password
And at the bottom of the page, you can find an option called “Install” click on it.
Note: It is this admin username and password with which you can log in to your website. It is better to note this down in case you forget it.
This will submit your data to the servers and check them. Once your data has been checked you would be provided with your site link. Click on it to go to the admin login page.
5. After entering your username and password. Hit “login”.
Hurrah! You have successfully created your WordPress account and accessed its dashboard.
After this you can install various themes, plugins etc…
Frequently asked questions
Yes, by default WordPress offer a classic editor.
Install the gutenburg plugin to install the advanced wordpress editor
Yes you can but siteground and bluehost are the recommended ones
We hope that this post has helped you to choose your blogging platform. I strongly believe that this post has helped you jump start your blogging career.
If you have any queries leave them in the comments section below. I will reply to them ASAP.
Good luck! Until then, Sayonara!